AtMatt Link(s) of the Day
(links open in a new window)
Thursday, October 26, 2017
- Kellogg’s Is Redesigning Corn Pops Boxes So They're Not Racistn you see your kid staring at this over breakfast and realize millions of oth
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
- We'd respect the national anthem more if we stopped putting it where it doesn't belong - Chicago Tribune"What if you're a Canadian playing in the National Hockey League? Do you have an obligation to stand if you are Czech or Russian? It isn't your anthem. You're just there for your job. An accounting firm playing the anthem at 8 a.m. has the same contextual viability as it does at before an NFL, NBA or MLB game.In many other countries, anthems are not played before sporting events that don't involve the national team. In pro soccer, in league after league from England to Germany to France, no national anthem. One team, FC Barcelona, has its own anthem, the "Cant del Barça," that is played before every match. It is the team's song, meant to rouse supporters of that team and stir the hearts of its paid employees, the players."
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
- Trump issues warning to McCain after senator condemns 'half-baked, spurious nationalism' - Chicago TribuneToo often I see the political parties advocating for policies that may be popular with their base, but don't seem to align with the values that America is supposed to be based on, Liberty, Equality & Justice. Our representatives seem to push only the values of their base (or even their own priorities) or even just try to spite the other party.I don't always agree with John McCain, but he seems to be one of the few Republicans willing to stand up for the core values of the United States. Other Republicans/conservatives are either too afraid to upset the white supremacist nationalist that have risen to power or think they are playing the long game by making a deal with the devil now.-MattJohn McCain on receiving an award for a lifetime of service and sacrifice to the country presented by Former Vice President Joe Biden."To abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems," he said, "is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history."
He continued: "We live in a land made of ideals, not blood and soil."http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-mccain-trump-half-baked-spurious-nationalism-20171017-story.html
- Peter Jukes on Twitter: "Once seen, cannot be unseen"These are some pretty good masks.https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/911539159864631298
- Scott Pruitt's EPA Says Maybe More Radiation Exposure Wouldn't Be So Harmful
Thursday, October 12, 2017
- Mike Ditka's comments on anthem protests underscore larger, chilling effect - Chicago Tribunehttp://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-mike-ditka-race-protests-spt-1012-20171011-column.htmlAnd it's not just Ditka who participates in this intimidation. It's the football fans who, in essence, tell players we'll take away your ratings and tickets and merchandise sales, and by extension your paychecks, unless you acquiesce to our view of patriotism. It's President Donald Trump pressuring owners to cut any player who dissents. It's Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who kneeled in "unity" with the players then backpedaled like a cornerback when he decreed any "disrespectful" player of his caught kneeling "will not play. Period." It's NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who knows he can't order players to stand, but strongly suggests that they do and adds that their method of calling out injustice is "eroding the unifying power of our game, and now is dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country."Collectively, their positions carry weight because they have the power to affect livelihoods. Trump and other critics of the protesters pat themselves on the back for what they believe is their role in keeping quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who ignited this controversy by kneeling in August 2016, out of work.That's the irony of the message from NFL brass, politicians and some football fans: Stand for this symbol of freedom — or else. And by the way, know your place. When players dissent by kneeling during the anthem, it's dividing the country. When they're pressured to stand — by their fans, their commissioner, even their president — it's unifying.
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
- Shoal Tent – SmithFlyThis appeals to me.https://www.smithfly.net/collections/watercraft/products/shoal-tent
- Arrest Warrant Issued For Black Man Beaten By White Supremacists
Friday, October 06, 2017
- North Korean workers prepare seafood going to US stores
- The 'Monopoly Man' Just Owned The Senate's Equifax Hearing
Tuesday, October 03, 2017
- Donald Trump Helps Suffering Puerto Ricans By Throwing Paper Towels At Them | HuffPostIn his first visit to Puerto Rico following the devastation of Hurricane Maria, President Donald Trump tossed paper towels at suffering survivors Tuesday.
A small number of the more than 3 million residents in Puerto Rico still without power were gifted paper towels, which Trump apparently thought was the most pressing need for those in the crowd.